We offer competitive funding packages to help meet the financial needs of our graduate students who are eligible to receive funding from us. The funding package will pay for students’ tuition fees while also providing them with an additional stipend, partially towards their living expenses.
Our funding model is comprised of a fellowship amount and salary amounts from working as a Teaching Assistant and a Research Assistant. For additional funding, we recommend applying for scholarships and awards. Please visit Faculty of Graduate Studies – Funding and Awards for more information on scholarship and award opportunities.
For graduate students who receive full funding support from York University, the funding packages are normally as follows:
|Full-time MASc domestic students receive approximately $55,500* for 6 terms (2 years).||After paying tuition, the annual pay per year is approximately $17,000**.|
|Full-time MASc international students receive approximately $77,500* for 6 terms (2 years).||After paying tuition, the annual pay per year is approximately $17,000**.|
|Full-time PhD domestic students receive approximately $23,550* per year.||After paying tuition, the annual pay per year is approximately $18,000**.|
|Full-time PhD international students receive approximately $36,755* per year.||After paying tuition, the annual pay per year is approximately $18,000**.|
Funding is contingent on continuous registration as a full-time student, continued satisfactory academic performance, and fulfillment of any funding-related employment obligations.
*Amounts are subject to change in future years. **The approximate annual pay is Gross earnings.
1. Funding Components
Each student in the Mechanical Engineering Department will normally receive funding for Teaching Assistantship and Research Assistantship as well as a standard Fellowship.
- Teaching Assistantship: The graduate students at the department play a key role in undergraduate education by assisting the course directors in many aspects of teaching from lecturing to delivering labs and tutorials, to grading assignments and exams, to ensuring that the course is following the accreditation guidelines of the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board
- Research Assistantship: Research is the priority and a fundamental component of students’ life at our department and students receive a portion of their salary because of being engaged in research activities.
- York Graduate Fellowship: The York Fellowship is part of each funding package given to full-time students.
2. Scholarships and Awards Requiring Application
The Government of Canada’s research agencies and funded partners—the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and Mitacs—promote innovation in research and reward academic excellence by offering a number of valuable and prestigious scholarships and awards. National foundations, created to honour the legacy of great Canadians, also offer major scholarship and fellowship programs which aim to support and enhance the research, innovation, and leadership of top emerging scholars from around the world who have chosen to pursue their graduate studies in Canada.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s (CGSM)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) and QEII Graduate Scholarships in Science and Technology (QEIIGSST)
- SSHRC Fellowships and CGS Doctoral Awards (DF/CGSD)
- CIHR Doctoral Foreign Study Awards and CGS Doctoral Awards (DFSA/CGSD)
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships and CGS Doctoral Awards (PGSD/CGSD)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (VCGS)
- SSHRC Impact Talent Award
- Michael Smith CGS Foreign Study Supplements (CGSFSS)
- Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships
- Governor General’s Gold Medals
- W.L. Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships
- Mitacs Awards
- Robert Bertram Doctoral Research Award
3. Funding FAQ
If you still have questions more information is available here.